Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Beginning...and the Purpose......

I am an emergency medicine physician who works in a busy suburban emergency department (ED) and for now, my identity does not matter. What does matter, is that people need to understand the issues related to emergency care in this country and it is for this reason, why I have decided to establish this site.

Perhaps, someone outside of medicine may eventually understand what it's like to practice in an ED, where care is rendered to all who enter, regardless of race, religion, sexual preference, ethnicity, financial standing, or insurance status 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and be required to render such care often times free under the laws of our great land.

For now, I will try to blog as often as my busy schedule permits since the majority of ED physicians are shift workers. I anticipate that some of what I have to say will enlighten you about America's health care system - the good and the bad, the successes and the failures. The opinions expressed here are my own and in no way reflect the hospital or my employer's opinions - so much for my disclaimer. That said, I hope that anyone who stumbles upon this blog will at least understand what goes on in health care...

No comments: